Banana Breakfast Cake is a healthier (there is no oil) version of cake that is topped with a healthy 3-ingredient cinnamon-y Greek yogurt frosting.
Three glorious words; cake for breakfast! When you think about some breakfast foods – like donuts, French toast, cinnamon rolls and some pancakes, this Banana Breakfast Cake just makes sense. Frosting it with a simple three ingredient, healthier version of frosting means I don’t have to feel guilty about eating cake for breakfast.
This cake is also a great, healthier choice for dessert, especially if you are trying to eat healthier. I modified a recipe I got on FOOD. Their recipe is very similar to this and they called them bars. To me a bar is eaten with your hands, and by the time you get the frosting on this, you have to eat it with a fork. That is why I call it cake. And, perhaps I cut my pieces too big to be bars.
Anyway, it seemed like cake to me. Call them whatever you like. They are very moist and a little dense, but so yummy.
You have to really like the taste of Greek yogurt in order to like this Banana Breakfast Cake, since it is the main ingredient in the frosting. I may also try it with strawberry Greek yogurt to have a strawberry banana breakfast cake. It is improtant to store this in the fridge since there is yogurt in the frosting.
This cake would also be great frosted with cream cheese or vanilla frosting. It wouldn’t be as healthy, but it would still taste very good.
Want to eat cake for breakfast? Get the recipe for Banana Breakfast Cake. Click To Tweet
Looking for other banana recipes? Try these Oat Banana Nut Pancakes or these Double Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins. I make all of these recipes when I need to use those bananas that are turning brown.
Adapted from FOOD.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9" X 13" cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix banana, sugar, applesauce and eggs until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Mix yogurt, powdered sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Spread over cooled cake. Store cake covered, in the refrigerator.
Total time does not include cooling and frosting time.
Follow us on Instagram @ https://www.instagram.com/mindyscookingobsession
Like us on facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/mindyscookingobsession/
Follow us on Twitter @ https://twitter.com/mindycancook
Follow us on Pinterest @ https://www.pinterest.com/mindyscookingob/
Pin it for later!