Double Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins are moist and chocolate-y!
These muffins! Double Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins are a great way to use those bananas that are too brown to eat.
I adapted this recipe from my Pillsbury Healthy Baking Cookbook. I changed the original recipe a lot. The original didn’t have oats, and I love them (they are a superfood!) and am always looking for recipes to add them to. I also swapped the oil for unsweetened applesauce.
We always buy the old fashioned variety of oatmeal, unless I buy the quick cooking kind for a specific recipe. The old fashioned kind take a whole 5 minutes to cook and that’s pretty good.
When we make old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast, or the occasional snack, we cut up an apple and cook it with them. We make our very own apple-cinnamon oatmeal and it takes less than 10 minutes. It is so delicous and nutritious that it just makes us feel good to start our day eating them for breakfast.
I thought about using paper liners for these Double Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Muffins (I always have them on-hand), but I decided against it because sometimes muffins stick to the paper. I am not sure if these would or not, but you could try it if you wanted.
If you want your muffins to look as beautiful as these you will have to put some of the chocolate chips on the tops of the muffins after you put them in the muffin tin. That’s the trick, don’t mix them all into the batter, reserve some and place them on the top by hand. I used some of the 1 cup the recipe calls for, but you could use extra ones if you like. You can’t have too many chocolate chips, right?!
Want savory muffins with oatmeal in them? Try these Corn Oat Muffins, they go great with chili, stew, or soup. Or how about a muffin with zucchini? These Zucchini Muffins are my second post on this blog.
Adapted from Pillsbury Healthy Baking Cookbook
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix flour, oats, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl mash banana. Mix in sugar, egg, buttermilk, and applesauce.
- Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide between muffin cups and bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack.
Follow us on Instagram @ https://www.instagram.com/mindyscookingobsession
Like us on facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/mindyscookingobsession/
Follow us on Twitter @ https://twitter.com/mindycancook
Follow us on Pinterest @ https://www.pinterest.com/mindyscookingob/
Pin it for later!