Corn Oat Muffins are the perfect accompaniment to a warm bowl of chili or soup!
I am always trying to find healthier ways to cook, and especially bake. I found this cookbook second-hand at a thrift store or yard sale. It has recipes that are heart healthy. I have been trying recipes from it for a few years now and when I was looking for a corn muffin recipe to go with chili, I found this recipe for Corn Oat Muffins.
The recipe called for egg substitute, but I just used eggs instead. I have never really used egg substitute and I didn’t want to buy it only to use in this recipe, so I just used eggs and they still came out great.
They are probably a little more wheat than corn, but that is okay. Even though I put 3 tablespoons of brown sugar in them they still came out savory and are just slightly sweet.
The ingredients needed.
The buttermilk, oats, and cornmeal.
The dry ingredients.
The wet and dry ingredients mixed together, ready to go into the muffin tin.
Ready to go into the oven.
Corn Oat Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Combine the buttermilk, oats and cornmeal in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour. Coat the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Stir the eggs, brown sugar, and oil into the buttermilk mixture. Pour into the well of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups, bake for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan immediately.
Adapted from 501 Heart Healthy Recipes Cookbook
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!