We love quick and easy dinners, and this Homemade Hamburger Helper Chili Mac is just that. I really hit a home run with this one because you only need 7 ingredients (and water).
Another really great thing about this dish is that you can personalize it. I used one our family’s favorite chili seasoning packets, and you can too!
We have a favorite seasoning for chili, and a favorite seasoning for this, that way the two dishes don’t taste the same.
When I was developing this recipe I decided to use the canned tomatoes with celery, bell peppers, and onion already added in. You could certainly use fresh onion, celery and peppers, just cook them with the ground beef.
I used to make this dish similar to that, but wanted to make it quicker, with less prep. This version also costs less, a win for our family.
I am currently developing a dish with chicken that is a quick, one pot dinner. We love chicken and I am excited to come up with a healthy and fast chicken dish.
It will be quick without a lot of prep. I have experimented some, but the dish still needs perfecting. I am close though!
All of these easy Hamburger Helper type dinners call for you to cover the pan while the pasta cooks. I do it that way now, but there was a time that I didn’t have a lid that fit any of my skillets, so I didn’t cover it.
It did take longer to cook, so I just cooked it until the pasta was done and the liquid was cooked out. So, if you don’t have a lid for your skillet, don’t fret.
Homemade Hamuburger Helper Chili Mac
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 can diced tomatoes with peppers, onions, and celery (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt optional
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Mix chili seasoning and corn starch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, milk, and seasoning mixture; stir until combined.
- Add macaroni and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer. Cover and cook 13-16 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
I also did not put any salt in it because we are trying to cut down on sodium. You could add a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt if you wish.
I use lean ground beef, I spray my skillet with cooking spray before I put the ground beef in and I don't have to drain it!
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!