Healthier Slow Cooker Chicken Stew combines fresh veggies, buttermilk, milk, sour cream, and spices to make a healthier version of this popular dish!
I love being able to put ingredients into the Crockpot and then come back a few hours later, and voila, dinner is ready. This Healthier Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is that kind of dish.
So easy and so flavorful!
I got the idea to make this dish from Pinterest. There are at least two versions of this dish that are wildly popular, both with literally hundreds of thousands of repins.
I looked at those recipes, and while they are good, they both contain canned soup and packaged Ranch Dressing mix.
A lot of people cook with canned soup (and I have in the past), but as we get older we are trying to eat healthier.
Our sodium intake is the area I focus on the most, followed by fat, and then carbs. So I set out to make this dish healthier.
I tried to add in the ingredients of the canned soup and Ranch Dressing mix without adding in the salt.
I knew I had to eliminate the sodium of at least one of these ingredients, so I thought, why not just use all fresh ingredients! And that is what I did.
Do not be intimidated by this recipe. It may seem like a laundry list of ingredients, but it’s not that bad.
I had all of the spices in my spice rack except the dill. If you have to buy them, they can be used in many recipes.
All of these ingredients make this Healthier Slow Cooker Chicken Stew taste like you used canned chicken soup and packaged Ranch Dressing mix.
Fresh ingredients mean you can feel good serving your family a healthful meal.Want to try a healthier Chicken Stew made in the slow cooker? Get the recipe here! Click To Tweet
Healthier Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups red potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup celery cut into 1/2 inch pieces about 1 stalk with leafy tops
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dill
- 3/4 teapsoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- In a large bowl mix the broth, buttermilk, milk, sour cream, flour, parsley, salt, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper until well combined.
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Place vegetables and chicken into the pot. Pour the sauce mixture over the veggies and chicken and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Inspired by The Cozy Cook.
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!