Pan Fried Fish with Oranges and Pecans is quick, healthy, and sure to impress!
My husband, Lee, loves fish. So far, he has liked every way I have prepared it for him, and this Pan Fried Fish with Oranges and Pecans is a favorite.
I am truly a lucky lady because Lee will eat anything I put in front of him.
And, if he doesn’t care for a particular dish he will tell me.
Mostly because he doesn’t want me to make it again, haha!
This recipe was inspired by one that I found on Eating Well.
I use the term “inspired by” instead of “adapted from” because I changed the recipe quite a bit.
The first time I made it I used tilapia and no dill.
Every time I made it after that I changed this or that.
We thought the vinegar taste was too strong, so I added some orange juice in with it.
It eventually evolved into this Pan Fried Fish with Oranges and Pecans that we love.
I have made it with the peel on and off the oranges, and it has a more bitter flavor with the peel on.
If you aren’t a fan of orange peel, then I would suggest peeling the orange.
To me, it tastes great either way.
Lately, I have been using swai instead of tilapia because I just like the way the swai looks.
The tilapia is more pink. This is just a personal preference.
You could use any type of fish, really, and this will still be a great dish.
I use frozen fish because I live in Kansas and we are no where close to water.
Fresh fish in these parts is not doable, for me, because of the price (I also question the freshness of it because, well, we are nowhere near the ocean and just how often do they fly this stuff in?).
This Baby Greens Salad with Beets & Goat Cheese would go great with this dish.
These Super Easy Pan Fried Fresh Green Beans also pair nicely with this dish, and are healthful as well.
Pan Fried Fish with Oranges and Pecans
- Cooking spray
- 4 swai fillets or other white fish, about 6 ounces each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shallots sliced into rings
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 12 slices of orange
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray. Season fish with salt and pepper and cook until opaque, about 3-5 minutes per side. Cook two at a time if necessary, transfer to a plate and keep warm in a 200° oven while you cook the other two fillets.
- Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat, add shallots and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add vinegar, orange juice, and orange slices and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes. Place oranges on fish, pour sauce over fish and sprinkle with pecans.
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!