Spaghetti with Zucchini & Tomatoes is healthful, easy, and super fast!
This Spaghetti with Zucchini & Tomatoes is not your momma’s spaghetti. The tomato sauce and Italian seasoning are traditional while the crushed red pepper gives it a kick.
It has a small amount of lean ground beef, and the zucchini and tomatoes add nutrition.
This dish can be whipped up in less than 25 minutes. That’s faster than you can make the boxed kind! And the best part is that this is good for you.
It is also a great way to get the kids (and adults too!) eating better. Nobody has to know, it can be our little secret. For additional information on the health benefits of zucchini visit www.livestrong.com.
You can control the amount of heat this dish has by adjusting the crushed red pepper. If you don’t like spicy foods, you can leave it out altogether.
Sometimes I use white pasta and sometimes I use whole wheat. The kids don’t like the wheat as much so I only use wheat if I am making it for just the two of us.
I like the look of this dish. These Easy Cheesy Drop Biscuits would go great with this because they are easy, fast, and have garlic. They both have the same sort of rustic look.
I adapted this recipe from the cookbook 501 Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes. I picked the cookbook up at an estate sale or second hand store.
It has a lot of great recipes that are better for us. We try to live by the 80/20 rule. Eat good wholesome, healthy food at least 80% of the time and indulge no more than 20% of the time.
We find it easier to eat better on a regular basis, and it helps us to not binge eat if we eat a treat every now and then.
Spaghetti with Zucchini & Tomatoes
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cans tomato sauce, 8 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cus zucchini, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- While spaghetti cooks, brown ground beef and onion in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Drain ground beef, if necessary. Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook until hot and bubbly stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in cooked spaghetti and zucchini, cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato.
Follow us on social media!!
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram |Twitter
Pin this image for later!!
Sharmila -The Happiefriends Potpourri Corner says
Mindy Boyd says
Angie@Angie's Recipes says
Such a comforting and delicious lunch idea! I love pasta with lots of veggies!
Mindy Boyd says
Yes, so healthy!