Creamy White Chicken Chili combines chicken, white beans, green chiles, broth, sour cream and spices to make a quick and comforting dish.
This Creamy White Chicken Chili has become a family favorite for us. Our recipe can be made using chicken that is uncooked, a rotisserie chicken or even leftovers.
I usually pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store and use it. This is such an easy and comforting dish. It is not too spicy so even the kids will like it.
I add the chicken in at the last-minute (if I am using rotisserie or leftover chicken) because I don’t want the chicken to break up too much.
If you are using uncooked chicken then you add it at the beginning when you cook the onion and garlic. Using cubed chicken might not require as much chicken broth, so I would only add as much as necessary.
We like our chili to be a little bit soupy (well maybe I do more than Lee does), so I add 2 full cans of broth when I’m using the precooked chicken, less when using uncooked chicken. I just eyeball it.
I have found that one of the hardest things about making recipes for this blog is figuring out exactly how much of an ingredient I actually use. A handful of this or a little bit of that isn’t really helpful when telling people how to make something. And when I first started cooking I had to have exact measurements for everything. It wasn’t until I had been cooking for a few years that I was able to modify recipes or even come up with my own.
Ingredients for Creamy White Chicken Chili
olive oil – 1 tablespoon
diced onion – 1 cup
chopped garlic – 1 teaspoon
chicken broth – 2 cans, 14.5 ounces
white beans – 2 cans, 15.5 ounces each, rinsed and drained
green chiles – 1 can, 4 ounces
cumin – 1 teaspoon
dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
salt – 1 teaspoon
black pepper – 1⁄2 teaspoon
cayenne pepper – 1⁄4 teaspoon
cooked chicken – 4 cups
sour cream -1 cup
milk – 1⁄2 cup
Directions for Creamy White Chicken Chili
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth, beans, green chiles, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper; simmer for 20 minutes.
Add chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
Stir in sour cream and milk and heat through, about 2 or 3 minutes.
You can use uncooked chicken if you would like. Just use 2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into bite sized pieces. Cook them with the onion and garlic and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Looking for a yummy dessert to serve after this chili? Check out the Desserts & Treats section of this blog for some delicious ideas!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cans chicken broth 14.5 ounces each
- 2 cans white beans 15.5 ounces each, rinsed and drained
- 1 can green chiles 4 ounces
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high, saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent, about 4- 5 minutes.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 cup onion, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Add chicken broth, beans, green chiles, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes .2 cans chicken broth, 2 cans white beans, 1 can green chiles, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add chicken and cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes.4 cups cooked chicken
- Stir in sour cream and milk and heat through, about 2 or 3 minutes.1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup milk
Recipe adapted from Genius Kitchen.
Follow us on social media!!
Some other recipes you might like: