Easy & Delicious Oat Milk Coffee with Brown Sugar – a simple recipe that doesn’t require any special equipment. We are definitely coffee lovers and like to take our coffee to the next level sometimes. I don’t like my coffee as strong as what is served out so if I want a special treat then we make coffee shop type coffee drinks at home.
We also don’t have fancy equipment like a classic french press espresso machine, espresso maker, or milk frother, nor do I have room to store all of these appliances and gadgets, so we just use our standard coffee maker. Because we use a large ratio of oat milk to coffee we just heat the oat milk up in the microwave.
This easy recipe is not a latte, but simply oat milk coffee (Perfect Daily Grind has a great article about what a latte is and how to make one). Again, we don’t have special equipment so we don’t make the classic latte.
We enjoy our regular coffee with whole milk and no sugar so if I am making a special coffee drink then I will make very strong coffee. We used to drink our coffee with regular milk and a little sugar but we cut the sugar out about 10 years ago. It took some getting used to and that is why we occasionally indulge in a sweetened coffee drink.
See recipe card below for exact amounts.
Coffee – you can brew coffee or use instant coffee.
Oat Milk – we have a favorite brand of oat milk, you can use your favorite or make your own. Epicurious has a great article about making your own oat milk, and why you may not want to.
Brown Sugar – we like the flavor of brown sugar in this coffee recipe but you can use any sweetener you like, see below for some suggestions.
How to Make This Easy & Delicious Oat Milk Coffee Recipe
This recipe is more of a guideline because you can use as much coffee, oat milk and sweetener as you like.
- Brew strong coffee or make instant coffee, I would say about twice as strong as you normally drink it (if you don’t normally use sweetener or this much milk). Warm oat milk in the microwave for 30 – 45 seconds.
- Pour hot coffee into coffee mugs. Add the desired amount of brown sugar or sweetener of choice and warmed oat milk, stir and enjoy!
Recipe Notes – While we are successful frothing cow’s milk in a mason jar, the brand of oat milk we like doesn’t froth up at all. This may work with other types of oat milk. If you really want oat milk foam (to make it an actual latte) you can use a blender, electric frother or hand whisk the milk, depending on the brand, these methods may not be work that well. You can also use barista blend oat milk.
What is Barista Blend Oat Milk?
There are several brands of barista blend oat milk that would be great for this but it cost over twice as much as the regular oat milk. We buy the regular so we can use the rest of the container for other consumption.
You can make this very fast if you use instant coffee.
If you don’t have a microwave you can warm milk on the stove in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Sweeteners You Can Use
If you don’t want to use brown sugar as a sweetener below are some great options.
- White Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Agave Syrup
- Coconut Sugar
Vanilla Coffee – add about 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Pumpkin Spice Coffee – add about 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Mocha Coffee – add a couple of teaspoons cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, increase the sugar as needed.
Peppermint Coffee – add about 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint syrup.
Caramel Coffee – omit brown sugar and add a tablespoon or two of caramel sauce.
What we love about this delicious treat
- It is a quick and easy way to take basic black coffee to the next level.
- The oat milk has a creamy texture and a slightly sweet taste so we only add a little brown sugar.
- We use store-bought oat milk to make this quick and easy.
- It is a special way to get my coffee fix.
- The best part is that you don’t need any fancy or expensive equipment, just a coffee maker and microwave or small saucepan to warm the milk.
- Oat milk has fewer calories than cow’s milk making this a little more figure friendly (so we get to drink more!).
More Coffee Recipes
Follow us on social media!
Bookmark this page so you can find it easily when you are ready to make this recipe!
Easy & Delicious Brown Sugar Oat Milk Coffee
- 1 1/2 cups strong black coffee
- 2 cups oat milk
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Brew strong coffee or make instant coffee.
- Warm oat milk in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Pour 3/4 cup of hot coffee into each cup.
- Add the desired amount of brown sugar or sweetener of choice (we use about a teaspoon for each cup) and warmed oat milk, stir and enjoy!