Spanish Brown Rice is a little bit healthier than traditional Spanish rice.
Would you like to make Spanish Brown Rice at home? Then try this recipe.
It combines fresh bell pepper and onion with spices and tomato sauce.
I use brown rice because it is better for you.
I have tried the packaged and boxed rice side dishes and they really don’t taste that good, not to mention that they are full of sodium, something we are trying to cut down on in our house.
The packaged and boxed rice that you can buy are fast, but that is really all they have going for them.
I would rather make something from scratch if possible.
This rice dish has just the right amount of spice, and I like that I can control the salt.
The onion and bell pepper give it a nice fresh taste.
Cooking the rice and onion in the skillet before adding the other ingredients gives it a nice toasty flavor.
I used brown rice, but you could us white.
White rice cooks in a shorter amount of time.
Putting forth the extra effort to serve this dish to your family is well worth it.
Spanish Brown Rice would go great with my Chicken & Black Bean Burritos.
Spanish Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook rice and onion in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is golden brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed.
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!