We love Mexican food at our house and we can eat these Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce and feel good about the quality of food we are putting in our bodies.
Today’s Sunday Supper is all about lean beef. I generally use lean ground beef because it is better for us, and I don’t have to drain it. This is one of those rare instances where my laziness actually has benefit. I love it when that happens!
Herdez is the brand of chile verde sauce I use in this recipe, it comes in a small (7 ounces) can that I buy at Walmart on the Mexican food aisle. If you can’t find it you could substitute any other green enchilada sauce or green salsa.
One of the things that makes this recipe “skinny” is the tortillas. I used Mama Lupe’s Low Carb tortillas, they have 60 calories and 7 grams of total carbohydrates. I buy the ones that are about 7 1/4″ across at the widest part.
A normal soft taco sized flour tortilla has around 130 calories and a whopping 23 grams of total carbohydrates. So the tortilla you use will have a huge impact on the calories and carbohydrates in this recipe.
The only 2% Milk Mexican cheese blend at my Walmart is Kraft. There are other brands available and I think Kroger has a generic brand.
I just mixed my sauce with a whisk and it had some little chunks of avocado in it. If you want your sauce to be smoother you can mix it in a blender or food processor.
I also have a recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, and they are delicious as well.
Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef I use 93/7
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 can green chiles drained (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup corn canned or frozen
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat Mexican cheese blend divided
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 can chili verde sauce 7 ounces
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 low carb tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9" X 13" casserole dish with cooking spray.
For the filling:
- Heat canola oil in a 10" skillet over medium heat. Cook ground beef and onion until beef is brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add green chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin. 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook for 2-3 minutes. Take off the stove and add 1/2 cup cheese.
For the sauce:
- In a medium bowl mash 2 avocados and lime juice with a fork. Mix in chili verde sauce, sour cream, milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
To assemble enchiladas:
- Divide filling between 12 tortillas, roll up and place in casserole dish seam side down. Pour sauce over enchiladas evenly. Top with 1 cup cheese blend.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
Follow us on social media!!
Thanks to Sarah from The Chef Next Door for hosting Sunday Supper this week! Take a look at these other great lean beef recipes from Sunday Supper tastemakers!
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spaghetti and Meatball Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Thai Steak Salad with Noodles by Positively Stacey
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Shepherd’s Pie by Simple and Savory
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Pepper Beef with Broccoli and Noodles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Sriracha Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Family Foodie
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Eggs Wraps by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Pin it for later!