Chocolate Cupcakes Topped with Caramel Frosting and Bacon – rich chocolate cupcakes are topped with Salted Caramel Frosting and then finished off with bacon crumbles. These have the perfect combination of salty and sweet. Also great if you are a bacon lover like most.
For this recipe we do not make the cake according to the package directions. Instead we add sour cream and melted butter to make these the best cupcakes! We also place bacon pieces onto each cupcake so if you have someone that isn’t a fan of bacon you can leave it off of some.
See recipe card below for exact amounts.
We use a few key ingredients to transform our store bought cake mix into tasting homemade. Pre-made frosting and precooked bacon make this so easy!
Chocolate Cake Mix – use your favorite brand of dark chocolate, milk chocolate or devil’s food.
Sour Cream – full fat or low fat will work.
Large Eggs – our favorite are Eggland’s Best.
Melted Butter – we always use unsalted butter.
Vanilla – pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
Salted Caramel Frosting – we found this at our local grocery store. See notes below if you can’t find it in your area.
Bacon Crumbles – we buy the precooked bacon for this but you could cook your own or use leftover bacon.
How to Make:
- The first thing you want to do is melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat so it will have time to cool a little bit.
- Then preheat the oven to 350° and line two 12 cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk the cake mix, sour cream, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla until well combined. Spoon batter into prepared cups. Put into preheated oven and bake 20 – 23 minutes or until cupcake tops spring back when lightly touched. Move cupcakes from the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes and top with crispy bacon pieces.
Melt butter in the microwave in a small bowl, just make sure it is microwave safe.
Don’t have paper cupcake liners? Spray the muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray, or use a paper towel to coat the cups with butter, shortening or oil. You can also line the muffin cups with parchment paper. There is a great how-to video over on Food & Wine.
Only have one 12-cup muffin pan? You can bake them in batches or use the aluminum cupcake liners without a muffin tin. Just put them on a rimmed baking sheet. I used to bake cupcakes in batches a lot because I only had one muffin pan.
Mix cake batter with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Can’t Find Salted Caramel Frosting?
There are several options if you can’t find pre-made salted caramel frosting.
Make your own. Southern Living has a recipe that looks pretty easy.
Not a fan of caramel? Then how about maple frosting? McCormick has a very simple 4 ingredient recipe that uses pure maple syrup.
Use your favorite chocolate frosting, vanilla frosting or cream cheese frosting. Then drizzle caramel sauce over the top of each cupcake before you add the bacon pieces.
Tips & Tricks:
- Take eggs and sour cream out of the fridge at least an hour before you make the cupcakes. Room temperature ingredients will result in a better rising cupcake.
- Be sure to let cupcakes cool completely before frosting or the frosting will melt.
- Try not to over-bake. Over-baking will result in a crumbier cupcake.
Ways to Fill Cupcake Cups Without Making A Mess:
Use a large ice cream scoop that has a trigger release.
Fill a large measuring cup with a spout and pour into cups.
Use a single half cup measuring cup with a handle.
A ladle or large soup spoon can also make quick and easy work of filling cupcake cups.
More Cupcakes You Might Like:
Coconut Olive Oil – A dense and delicious homemade cupcake and frosting topped with coconut!
Strawberry Cheesecake – We use a boxed cake mix, pre-made cheesecake filling and strawberry pie filing to make this so easy. After all, cheesecake, cake and strawberries are a perfect combo.
Gingerbread with Maple Glaze – Homemade cake with a yummy glaze made with real maple syrup.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip – Peanut butter cupcakes topped with a dark chocolate frosting.
Banana Chocolate Chip – We transform a boxed cake into something out of the ordinary and make it super easy by using pre-made frosting.
Follow us on social media!!
Bookmark this page to find it quickly when you are ready to make this recipe!
Chocolate Cupcakes Topped with Caramel Frosting and Bacon
- 1/4 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 chocolate cake mix 15.25 ounces
- 16 ounce container sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup bacon crumbles more or less, depending on preference
- 1 container salted caramel frosting 16 ounces
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two 12 cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk the cake mix, sour cream, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla until well combined. Spoon batter into prepared cups.
- Bake 20 – 23 minutes or until cupcake tops spring back when lightly touched. Move cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes and top with bacon pieces.