You can make delicious air fryer potato wedges in no time. They are the perfect side dish for any meaty main dish, burgers or sandwiches. Potato wedges also make a great appetizer or game day snack.
Air frying potatoes is one of my favorite things because it allows us to have tasty fried potato dishes without the guilt. But the best part is that it takes a lot less time than roasting them in the oven. That means we can even have them on busy weeknights when I am trying to get dinner on the table as quick as possible.
Table of contents
- Why you’ll love air-fried potato wedges
- Ingredient Notes
- How to cut potatoes to make perfect potato wedges
- How to cook potato wedges in air fryer
- More air fryer potato recipes
- Easy 20 Minute Air Fryer Potato Wedges Recipe ↓
- More air fryer recipes
Why you’ll love air-fried potato wedges
- It’s a versatile side dish that goes with many different main dishes.
- They can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
- Air frying is a better-for-you option than deep frying because you use a lot less oil.
- Homemade potato wedges are an easier alternative to French fries.
- Potatoes are healthy because they are relatively low calorie and have lots of vitamins and minerals. Check out this article over at Healthline that gives you the run down on the nutritional value of the potato.
See recipe card for exact amounts.
potatoes – I like to use Russet potatoes because they are starchy. Yukon Gold potatoes are also a good choice. Waxy potatoes such as red potatoes, new potatoes, fingerling potatoes or baby potatoes are more fragile and won’t do as well.
oil – we do use a little oil. Our favorite is canola oil. Vegetable oil, olive oil, avocado oil, and peanut oil are also good choices.
spices – for this particular recipe we use garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and salt. See below for suggestions of other spices that would be great on these air fryer wedges.
How to cut potatoes to make perfect potato wedges
- Scrub potatoes under warm water then dry them with paper towels.
- Cut potato in half lengthwise into 2 pieces.
- Place the cut side of the potato down on the cutting board and cut it in half. After you do this with both halves you will have 4 pieces.
- With the skin side down cut each quarter into thirds. After you do this with all 4 quarters you will have 12 pieces.
If you are a visual learner like me you will want to check out my post How to Cut Potato Wedges because it has pictures.
How to cook potato wedges in air fryer
- Combine canola oil and spices in large mixing bowl.
- Add the potato wedges and toss to combine. You can use a spoon but I do this with the best kitchen tools I have, my clean dry hands.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in the basket and air fry at 400° for 10 minutes. Toss potatoes and cook at 400° an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Try to select potatoes that are a similar size so they will have the same cook time. You can also cut the potatoes into more or less wedges, depending on their size. The goal is for them to be as close to the same size as possible after you cut them.
- We do not put our potatoes in the basket in a single layer. When the kids are home I am cooking for 4 and cooking them in batches (doubling or tripling the cooking time) isn’t an option for me. Some of our potatoes are crispier than others. They are all cooked (in 15 minutes!) and that is good enough for me. If you want crispier results then you can either cook them in batches or cook them longer.
- Some people soak or rinse their potatoes in cold water to release some of the starch to achieve really crispy potato wedges. You can try that if you have time. Again, I am trying to get a healthy and delicious meal on the table in a little time as possible and never take the time to do this.
There are many different ways you can season your potatoes. We shake it up from time to time based on what we are eating our potato wedges with.
We go with milder seasonings if we are eating them with something spicy or we spice our potatoes up a bit if we are eating them with a dish that doesn’t have a kick. The sky is the limit and you can use virtually every spice in your spice cabinet.
Below are a few suggestions:
- chili powder
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- dried rosemary
- Italian seasoning
- dried parsley
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- dried thyme
Dipping sauce ideas for potato wedges
- Ranch dressing
- honey mustard
- sour cream
- bbq sauce
- chili sauce
- fry sauce
You could also sprinkle Parmesan cheese or fresh parsley or other fresh herbs on the warm potato wedges when you take them out of the air fryer.
Do you have a favorite dipping sauce that I didn’t mention? Let me know in the comments.
Storage & Reheating
We enjoy fresh air fryer potato wedges. Leftover potato wedges can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. They can be reheated either in the air fryer on 375° for about 5 minutes, or a few seconds in the microwave.
Follow us on social media!
Bookmark this page so you can find it easily when you are ready to make this recipe!
Easy 20 Minute Air Fryer Potato Wedges Recipe ↓
Easy 20 Minute Air Fryer Potato Wedges Recipe
- 3 potatoes about 8 ounces each
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Scrub potatoes, dry with paper towels and cut into 12 wedges.3 potatoes
- Combine canola oil and spices in large mixing bowl. Add the potato wedges and toss to coat.1 tbsp canola oil, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. Place potatoes in the basket and air fry at 400° for 10 minutes. Toss potatoes and cook at 400° an additional 3-5 minutes., or until potatoes are tender and the desired crispiness.
Bookmark this page to find it quickly when you are ready to make this recipe!
More air fryer recipes
Fresh warm biscuits in about 8 minutes.
Tender and juicy boneless ribs using only 3 ingredients.