Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread features boxed corn bread and boxed yellow cake mix. It is the perfect blend of savory, spicy and sweet!
When I make chili I have to make bread of some kind to go with it. This Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to a big pot of chili because you will most likely have leftovers of both.
This would also be a great to serve to a crowd because this cornbread is made in a 9″ X 13″ pan that is full to the brim with deliciousness.
My recipe uses a yellow cake mix. This makes the cornbread sweet and so delicious! The spicy jalapenos and pepper jack cheese make this cornbread the perfect balance of savory and sweet.
How to make Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread:
Preheat the oven to 350° and coat a 9″ X 13″ pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl mix a boxed cake mix (15.25 ounces) with two boxes of cornbread mix (8.5 ounces each).
Add 5 eggs, 2/3 cup of milk, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of canola (or vegetable) oil and stir until combined.
Mix in 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped, and 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese.
Pour into pan and top with 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese.
Bake for 28-33 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched and the sides pull away from the pan.
Serve slightly warm.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff.
If you like things really spicy you can leave the ribs and seeds in the jalapeno and add them into the cornbread mixture.
We like things mildly spicy, especially since we usually serve this with dishes that are a bit spicy, so we remove the ribs and seeds.
And, the spiciness of this will vary because some peppers are way hotter than others.
Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread
- 1 boxed yellow cake mix 15.25 ounces
- 2 boxes cornbread mix 8.5 ounces each
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° and coat a 9" X 13" pan with cooking spray.
- Add cake mix, cornbread mix, eggs, water, and canola (or vegetable) oil in a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Mix in jalapeno and shredded cheese.
- Pour into pan and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese bake for 28-33 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched and the sides pull away from the pan.
- Serve warm.
Follow us on social media!!
Other bread type recipes that go great with chilis, soups and stews: