Mixed-Up Lasagna is easier than classic lasagna.
Mixed-Up Lasagna lets you, well, mix it up! No need to carefully cook lasagna noodles and take the time to layer them.
For this version you just have to cook the meat and pasta, mix the cheeses together and then mix it all up. Pour it into the baking dish and voila!, a dish that has the same taste as lasagna, but much faster and easier.
Most restaurants use a mixture of ground beef and Italian sausage (such as this) in their lasagna, so that would be a great way to change this recipe up a bit, just use half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of sausage.
I serve this with some sort of garlic bread or bread sticks. It is always a hit with the kids and would be great to serve guests or take to a potluck.
You can use any short-cut pasta you like. This dish can be made with your favorite jar pasta sauce
How to make Mixed-Up Lasagna:
If you would like a pasta dish without meat I have a great recipe for Spinach Manicotti.
Our Italian Style Salad would make a great appetizer for this dish.
- 1 pound rotini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 jar pasta sauce, 24 ounces
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions for the lowest time specified.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the pasta is about half way done, preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl mix the cottage cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and egg until combined.
- Mix the pasta, ground beef, cheese mixture, and 1 cup of the pasta sauce together in a large vessel. (I use the pot I cooked the pasta in so I don't have to dirty another dish.)
- Spray a 9" X 13" baking dish with cooking spray and put just enough of the pasta sauce on the bottom of the dish to cover. Add the pasta mixture and even it out with a spoon or spatula. Spoon the remaining pasta sauce evenly over the pasta mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot.
- Uncover and top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and return to the oven until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!