Skillet Beef Tagine with Spiralized Butternut Squash features tender beef, shallots, spicy tomatoes, spiralized butternut squash, and spices. A healthy and delicious dish!
Tagine originated in North Africa, Morocco, and Algeria. It is a meat stew that is slow cooked in an earthenware pot. This recipe, that I have adapted, comes from My Recipes. My version, Skillet Beef Tagine with Spiralized Butternut Squash, is a quicker version of this dish, because it is made with spiralized butternut squash. The spiralized squash cooks much faster than the chunks of squash.
I have to tell you about this spiralized butternut squash! This product is made by Veggie Noodle Co. and it comes already peeled and spiralized, ready to use. Talk about fast, easy, and convenient! They currently have zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and beets.
Skillet Beef Tagine with Spiralized Butternut Squash is pretty easy to make and can be on the table in about 30 minutes, but it has such depth of flavor that it tastes like it took all day to cook. It is the first recipe I ever made that uses cinnamon in a savory way. Something about the cinnamon, ginger, and paprika gives it an exotic flavor. It is soo yummy!
I made this dish for my oldest daughter when she and her husband come over for dinner one Sunday, and she loved it. She even requested I make it for her birthday! My youngest daughter used to be a really picky eater and wouldn’t eat it before. This time when I made it, she gobbled it up. I love that she is willing to at least try just about any food now, and likes a lot more foods than she used to.
I have a recipe for Chicken with Lemon Leek Zucchini Noodles, (use 1 package of Veggie Noodle Co. spiralized zucchini).
Skillet Beef Tagine with Spiralized Butternut Squash
- 1 pound top sirloin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large shallots
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with spicy red pepper 14.5 ounces
- 1 package Veggie Noodle Co. Spiralized Butternut Squash 10.7 ounces
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Trim any fat from meat and cut into bite-sized chunks. In a medium bowl mix meat, paprika, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat, set aside.
- Chop shallot into eighths.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add meat and shallots, cook stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink and shallots are softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes and butternut squash, cook until squash is tender, about 4 minutes.
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!
Disclaimer: Veggie Noodle Co. provided the product used in this post. All opinions are 100% my own.