Healthy Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal is a quick breakfast the whole family will love because it is full of yummy fall flavors. There is nothing better than a warm breakfast on a chilly day. Our healthy pumpkin oatmeal recipe is perfect for busy mornings too because it is so quick and easy to make.
See recipe card for exact amounts.
Just a handful of ingredients are all you need to make this easy recipe.
Old Fashioned Rolled Oats – these cook in 5 minutes!
Pumpkin – we like pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
Pumpkin Pie Spice – this is made of ground nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger and gives our oatmeal the flavors of pumpkin pie!
Cinnamon – we like the extra warmth the cinnamon gives this dish.
Pure Maple Syrup – we like to use a healthier alternative to sugar.
Vanilla – we use pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
Chopped Pecans – this gives our oatmeal a nice crunch.
How to Make Our Easy Pumpkin Oatmeal:
- Bring one and three-fourths cups water to a boil in a small pot over high heat.
- Add one cup oats, one-half cup real pumpkin, one-half teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, one-half teaspoon ground cinnamon, and one and one-half tablespoons of maple syrup; return to a boil and reduce to medium heat and cook for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed by the oats.
- Divide between two bowls and top with chopped pecans.
Swap the maple syrup for white or brown sugar. You can also use your favorite sugar substitute.
Use pumpkin seeds, walnuts, or slivered almonds instead of pecans.
Add a drizzle of maple syrup over each serving, after you put it in the bowls, for a little extra sweetness.
For extra creamy pumpkin oatmeal swap some or all of the water with oat milk, soy milk, unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or any variety of cow’s milk. Just be sure to watch it closely because milk will boil over much faster than water.
You can use quick oats instead of old fashioned. We have not tried this recipe using steel cut oats.
Need to make this gluten free? Just be sure to buy gluten free oats and your all set!
Why We Love Oats:
According to Healthline (and many other sources) oats are one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat. They are not only rich in fiber but they are higher in protein than most other grains.
Oats are very versatile making them a delicious way to add whole grains to your diet.
Eating oatmeal for breakfast is a quick and easy way to contribute to the healthy eating lifestyle we strive to achieve.
More Healthy Oatmeal Recipes:
Baked Oatmeal Recipes You Might Like:
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes:
Follow us on social media!!
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram |Twitter
Bookmark this page to find it quickly when you are ready to make this recipe!
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup not pancake syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons pecans chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Add oats, pumpkin, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, ground cinnamon, return to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed by the oats.
- Top with chopped pecans, if desired
Leave a Reply