Macaroni & Cheese Salad is a great side dish for lunch or dinner.
This Macaroni & Cheese Salad is really easy to make! It is great with a lot of different main dishes and even sandwiches. This would also be good to take to a potluck or family gathering.
I usually make it as a side dish to go with dinner and then we eat it with lunch or as a snack for the next day or two.
The idea to put cheese in my macaroni salad comes from my sister-in-law. I watched her make it when my husband and I first got together and loved the idea. I used sharp cheddar cheese, but you could use any cheese you like.
I chose to use a mixture of mayonnaise and plain lowfat yogurt. I love doing that because it makes it a little better for us and gives a little bit of tangy-ness to the sauce.
The mayonnaise that I use for just about everything is the type made with olive oil. I really like the taste of it and the fact that, overall, it is better for us than regular mayo.
Macaroni & Cheese Salad would go great with this Honey Lime Chicken or this Arby’s Grilled Chicken & Pecan Salad (Copycat). If you would like a pasta salad that is mayonnaise free then check out this Garden Pasta Salad.
Macaroni & Cheese Salad
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 cup celery, chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup cheese chunks
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook macaroni for the minimum amount of time specified on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, sugar, pepper, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the macaroni, cheese chunks, celery, and onion. Add the sauce and stir to combine.
Follow us on social media!!
Pin this image for later!!