We love Brussels sprouts at our house and this Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad recipe is one of our favorites. These simple ingredients have amazing flavors and contribute to our healthy eating plan.
In fact, this is one of the healthy salad recipes I sometimes make as part of our meal prep for the week. This recipe makes about 8 cups so Lee takes a one cup serving and I take one-half cup serving to work for a snack. We think it actually tastes better on day 3 or 4 because the flavors have developed.
Ingredients Needed to Make This Delicious Salad:
Raw Brussels Sprouts – one cup of these are only 38 calories, a whopping 124% vitamin C, 10% vitamin B6 and 13% dietary fiber.
Walnuts – these contain the healthy fats our body needs.
Dried Cherries – these provide a little sweetness and are also high in vitamin C.
Goat Cheese – we like to use the crumbled type.
Smoky Bacon – we love the flavor this adds to the salad.
Citrus Vinaigrette – our homemade version has fresh lemon juice, fresh orange juice, shallots, Dijon mustard, olive oil, maple syrup, and a little bit of salt and black pepper.
How to make the perfect salad:
- Cut the ends off of the Brussels sprouts and remove any outer leaves that are discolored or spotty. Shred the Brussels sprouts in a food processor with the slicing blade.
- Place the shaved Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
Tips & Tricks:
If you don’t have a food processor you can use a sharp knife and cutting board to cut the Brussels sprouts into thin slices. Even using the food processor there are still some good sized pieces of the leaves here and there but we don’t fuss over it.
We cut the dried cherries in half.
Take a little help from the grocery store:
- You can buy shaved Brussels sprouts, they are usually with the bagged salads in the produce section.
- We buy precooked bacon and then pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to get the fat warm so the bacon flavor gets into the salad.
- Use store bought salad dressing, or I have an easier 3 Ingredient Orange Vinaigrette that would be great for this.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Substitutions & Additions:
Use feta cheese instead of goat cheese.
Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds can be used instead of the walnuts.
Dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds would be a great substitute for dried cherries.
Add in some red onion for a little sweet heat.
When to serve this:
Shredded Brussels sprout salad recipe is a perfect side dish for everyday or a great addition to your holiday dinner. It would be great for a picnic or barbecue since there is no dairy and it tastes great at room temperature.
We also like to take it to work for a mid-afternoon snack. And it makes a super addition to any potluck spread because this recipe makes about 8 cups and can easily be doubled.
More great salad recipes:
Follow us on social media!!
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries chopped
- 6 strips bacon chopped
- 5 ounce container goat cheese crumbles
- 1 cup Citrus Vinaigrette
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Cut the top of of Brussels sprouts and shred in a food processor with the slicing blade.
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine.
Recipe adapted from The Real Food Dietitians.
Follow us on social media!!