Making a homemade copycat version of Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino will save you time and money! All you need is instant coffee, toffee nut syrup, caramel sauce, chocolate syrup, milk, ice and a bit of sea salt.
Don’t stress about the toffee nut syrup, I’ve got you covered with an easy 3 ingredient recipe. Well, really only 2 because one of the 3 is water. No worries if you don’t want to mess with making the toffee nut syrup, you can simply leave it out.
So I was out shopping the other day and stopped at Starbucks and had a Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino and it was so good! I confess, it was the very first time I had tried a frappuccino. And now my new favorite drinks are frappuccinos.
They are pretty expensive so Lee and I shared one. I vowed to make them at home (at a fraction of the cost!) so we can have our very own. Heck, there was even some for the kids and I don’t think I spent as much to make four drinks as we spent on the one we bought.
Now, my mission is to figure out what’s in every coffee house version frappes and frappucinos so I can make them myself at home. And why not share them with all of you so you can make them at home too?!
What is in a Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino?
According to the Starbucks website a Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino contains mocha sauce, toffee nut syrup, whole milk, ice, sweetened whipped cream, caramel sauce and a blend of turbinado sugar and sea salt.
See recipe card for exact amounts.
All you need are a few simple ingredients, most of them you may already have on hand.
coffee – we us instant coffee to make this super easy. No waiting to brew coffee and then waiting for it to cool down. You can use decaf coffee if you want this later in the day or if you are controlling your caffeine intake.
milk – we like to use whole milk. Low-fat milk or non-dairy milk such as oat milk, almond milk, or soy milk can be used.
chocolate sauce – store bought chocolate syrup such as Hersheys can be used, we use Torani chocolate sauce.
caramel sauce – I like to use my own 3 ingredient homemade caramel sauce (it’s made in the microwave so it’s super quick and easy). Any store bought caramel syrup or sauce works great too.
toffee nut syrup – I make my own because I can’t find it in my area. If you can’t find it, or if you don’t want to make it, you can leave it out.
whipped cream – I prefer the type in the can, but homemade whipped cream is great too.
sea salt – we use just a pinch in the bottom of the glass and we put just a sprinkle on top of the caramel drizzle garnish.
ice – you can use ice cubes or crushed ice, we use ice cubes.
How to make this homemade frappuccino
- Put a bit of whipped cream into the bottom of a tall glass, drizzle one half tablespoon of caramel sauce into the glass on top of the whipped cream. Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt onto the caramel.
- Place the instant coffee, milk, chocolate sauce, toffee nut syrup and ice in a blender, pulse until the mixture is blended. You want the ice to be small enough to easily go through a straw.
- Pour into the glass and top with whipped cream, add the final drizzle of caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream and add another small pinch of sea salt.
- We like strong coffee flavor with just a hint of chocolate, toffee nut, caramel sauce and salt, play around with the ingredient ratio until you find the right amount of each ingredient that you like best.
- We use two small pinches of salt, add extra salt if you like it saltier.
- Don’t have chocolate sauce or chocolate syrup? You can use 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar instead. You may need to play around with the amount of sugar and cocoa powder so it comes out just the way you like it.
What kind of blender does Starbucks use?
I researched this and they actually use a Vita-Mix Quiet One blender. Amazon has it listed for $1,135! When I decided I wanted to make homemade versions of all these frozen coffee drinks I figured I would need an upgrade from my cheaper Hamilton Beach model so I bought a Ninja Professional 1000w blender (not an affiliate link, just wanted to show you what I use).
I picked it up at Target for just over a hundred bucks. It does the job much quicker than the inexpensive blender. But no worries, you can use any blender you have.
Follow us on social media!
Bookmark this page so you can find it easily when you are ready to make this recipe!
Copycat Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Put some whipped cream into the bottom of a tall glass, drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of caramel sauce into the glass on top of the whipped cream. Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt onto the caramel.
- Place the instant coffee, milk, chocolate sauce, toffee nut syrup and ice in a blender, pulse until the mixture is blended.1 cup ice, 6 tbsp milk, 1/2 tbsp instant coffee, 1 tbsp toffee nut syrup, 1 tbsp chocolate sauce
- Pour into the glass and top with more whipped cream, add another 1/2 tablespoon caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream and add another small pinch of sea salt.
Bookmark this page to find it quickly when you are ready to make this recipe!
More delicious cold drink recipes
A five ingredient smoothie that is as delicious as it is good for you!
A flavorful and creamy copycat version that is perfect any time of the year.
Packed with protein and caffeine for the perfect pick me up.
Another tasty and healthy smoothie recipe that only requires a few ingredients.