This air fryer butternut squash recipe is pretty quick. We love air frying vegetables because it speeds up the cooking process, especially when compared to the regular oven. Because of that I (and you!) can make this easy side dish any night of the week.
I use butternut squash in dishes, like this Skillet Beef Tagine with Spralized Butternut Squash, but I also make it to serve as a healthy side dish with a meaty main dish. And while this air fried butternut squash is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish it’s also great any time of year.
Table of contents
- Why you’ll love this easy recipe
- Ingredient Notes
- How to make air-fried butternut squash
- More side dishes
- Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe ↓
- More air fryer recipes
Why you’ll love this easy recipe
- Air frying butternut squash has less cooking time than roasting it in the conventional oven.
- All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this perfect side dish that is as healthy as it is tasty.
- We cook the entire butternut squash at the same time, no need to cook it in batches.
- The total cook time for this recipe is about 18 minutes!
See recipe card for exact amounts.
butternut squash – it is a winter squash that has a taste similar to pumpkin. We use fresh squash but sometimes you can find pre-cut butternut at the grocery store.
olive oil – we use just a little oil for flavor and to help our salt and pepper to stick to it. This can be anything from light tasting olive oil to extra virgin olive oil, use your favorite brand and type.
salt – regular table salt, kosher salt or sea salt.
black pepper – this pairs well with the squash.
How to make air-fried butternut squash
- Peel the squash and cut off both ends. Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl, toss the squash cubes in the olive oil mixture.
- Pour seasoned butternut squash into the air fryer basket and air fry at 400° for 8 minutes, shake them and cook at 400° for another 8 minutes or until they are fork tender. Our squash is light golden brown on some of the edges, for crispy roasted squash leave it in a little longer than the suggested 8 minutes after you shake them up.
Does the butternut squash have to be in a single layer?
It does not, we cook one whole butternut squash at a time, usually about 4 cups. We cook it all at the same time and they do overlap each other some.
Is butternut squash a healthy vegetable?
One cup has only 63 calories and is packed with fiber, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C. It can support a healthy immune system and may help lower blood pressure.
Is squash good in the air fryer?
Air frying butternut squash results in tender squash that is cooked perfectly. For slightly crispy edges you can leave it in the air fryer just a little longer.
How to pick the perfect butternut squash
The outside of the squash should be a creamy tan color. The skin should feel firm to the touch. Surface scratches are okay but avoid choosing one that is bruised, has cuts or soft spots.
How do you cut a butternut squash for cooking?
Start by peeling the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler. Then cut the ends off, the slice it down the middle, spoon out the seeds the chop into whatever size cubes you want.
There is a great video on YouTube that shows how to cut butternut squash.
For this recipe we just use salt and pepper but you can use any combination of the below spices for added flavor.
- garlic powder – about 1/2 teaspoon
- onion powder – about 1/2 teaspoon
- paprika – about 1/2 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper – about 1/8 teaspoon
- Italian seasoning – about 1 teaspoon
To make this a sweet dish use butter instead of oil and add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with about 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup or about a tablespoon of brown sugar.
Storage & Reheating
Store leftover squash in an airtight container for about 3 days. Warm it up in the air fryer on 400° for 5-7 minutes or in the microwave.
Follow us on social media!
Bookmark this page so you can find it easily when you are ready to make this recipe!
Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe ↓
Easy Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Peel the squash and cut off both ends. Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.1 butternut squash
- Mix the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl, toss in the olive oil mixture so that all of the squash has some oil and spices on it.1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Air fry butternut squash at 400° for 8 minutes, shake them and cook at 400° for another 8 minutes or until they are fork tender.
Bookmark this page to find it quickly when you are ready to make this recipe!
More air fryer recipes
Perfect for quick weeknight meals or a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch.
Tender and juicy ribs are cooked in the air fryer and ready in 20 minutes.
A flavorful meaty main dish is ready in about 15 minutes!
These are great for a quick meal or snack for game day or a party.