Looking for an easy and delicious breakfast? To make this dish you just mix everything in one bowl, pour it into a casserole dish and bake it. That’s what makes it The Easiest Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal recipe.
Not only is this an easy recipe I also give you the option of using peanut butter, unsweetened applesauce or mashed bananas in this baked oats recipe. Isn’t it great to have options?!
Plus, all of these ingredients are good for you. The peanut butter has protein and healthy fat and the banana and applesauce are both very nutritious.
I wanted to give people the choice for this ingredient because I know some folks are allergic to peanut butter and some people just don’t care for it. I also wanted to increase the odds that you would have all the ingredients on hand to make this on a whim.
Table of contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s perfect for busy mornings. Just mix it up and pop it in the oven while you get ready. Or better yet, make is as part of your meal prep for the week and warm it up in the microwave for a really quick breakfast.
- It is a simple recipe using only one bowl.
- This recipe has many of the same ingredients as oatmeal chocolate chip cookies but it is better for you!
Are baked oats still healthy?
Oats help you stay full longer because they are full of complex carbohydrates and they are healthy because they are full of essential vitamins and minerals.
Eating Well has a great article that explains the nutrition facts of steel cut oats, rolled oats, and instant oats.
See recipe card for exact amounts.
List of Ingredients
Just a few simple ingredients are all you need to make this healthy breakfast the whole family will love!
oats – we like quick oats for this recipe. Old-fashioned oats can be used but it will change the texture quite a bit.
milk – I like whole milk for this recipe. Unsweetened oat milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, almond milk, or soy milk can be used.
peanut butter, unsweetened applesauce, or mashed bananas – your choice! Peanut butter makes the baked oats a little stiffer than using applesauce or mashed bananas.
chocolate chips – regular size chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips are great.
eggs – we like large eggs for this.
sugar – we use regular granulated sugar.
vanilla – pure vanilla extract and not imitation vanilla.
baking powder – this helps our baked oatmeal get nice and fluffy.
salt – we use regular salt. Sea salt or kosher salt can be used.
How to make Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips to a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour into the baking dish and top with the remaining chocolate chips. You can mix all of the chocolate chips into the oat mixture but we like the melty chocolate chips on the top of our baked oats.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. You will know it is done when the top starts to crack a little and the edges start to brown.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
We serve this in a bowl.
- Swap the white sugar with brown sugar for a warmer flavor. You can also use your favorite artificial sweetener if you want.
- Add some cinnamon, maybe a teaspoon or so.
- Small pieces of fruit, such as apple, banana, strawberries, peaches or blueberries would all be a healthy addition.
- Add in your favorite nut, maybe 1/2 – 1 cup.
- Use whatever type of nut butter you like. Peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter are all great choices.
- Any kind of baking chips can be used, here are a few ideas:
- dark chocolate chips
- milk chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- cinnamon chips
- espresso morsels
- caramel flavored chips
- peanut butter chips
- butterscotch chips
- Maple syrup
- Warm nut butter
- Diced fruit
- Greek yogurt
- Chopped nuts
- Sliced banana
Storage & Reheating
Store leftover baked oats in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple of days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can be stored in the same pan it is baked in or in individual servings. We warm ours up in the microwave.
Follow us on social media!
Bookmark this page so you can find it easily when you are ready to make this recipe!
Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Recipe ↓
Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup peanut butter OR unsweetened applesauce OR mashed banana
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips divided
- cooking spray
I earn a small commission from Instacart for qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray an 8" square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.cooking spray
- Add everything except the chocolate chips to a large bowl and stir until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.2 1/2 cups quick oats, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 cup peanut butter OR unsweetened applesauce OR mashed banana, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Pour into the baking dish and top with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake 35-40 minutes. You will know it is done when the top starts to crack a little and the edges start to brown.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
Bookmark this page to find it quickly when you are ready to make this recipe!
More breakfast favorites
A quick and easy copycat version of the restaurant favorite.
An easy seven ingredient recipe that has lots of melty cheese.